Jigsaw4u started in 1997 as a service for children who had experienced a family bereavement. Since then, we have helped countless families lift the burden of grief, helped families find the words to talk about death and given them a much-needed support system at a time when the smallest things seem insurmountable. We are now funded by Children in Need to provide support after suicide to children and their families.
How does your organisation contribute to preventing suicide and supporting those affected by it?
The types of support we offer are:
• Debrief support – this might be the first time for children and families to share the details of what has happened. Families can benefit from this before the need for on-going work is established.
• Individual support and family sessions to meet the identified needs.
• Group support – for children to safely connect with other children and families who have experienced a loss through suicide.
• Telephone advice and consultation for parents and professionals – providing direct advice or directing them to appropriate resources.
• Emergency consultation for schools affected by a death from suicide.
What are your current priorities?
Highlighting the needs of children bereaved by suicide. Support families and communities to talk about the impact of suicide.
What challenges are you currently facing?
To provide support after suicide to children and their families.