University Centre Quayside
University Centre Quayside (UCQ) is an established provider of education and training, located across England, with headquarters in Newcastle upon Tyne. We offer a wide range of programmes, from Higher Education to apprenticeships, vocational qualifications and commercial training in management and leadership; we provide pre-employment and adult learning provision across the North East of England and Tees Valley, including through close partnership working with stakeholders, combined authorities, employers, referral organisations and the VCSE sector. Our degree apprenticeships are delivered across England. UCQ hold Matrix standard, ISO9001, Equality Standard Gold and Investors in People Gold.
How does your organisation contribute to preventing suicide and supporting those affected by it?
– UCQ have a designated safeguarding team who meet monthly to discuss issues relating to safeguarding, including mental health and suicide prevention.
– We have trained mental health first aiders to provide support to employees and students.
– The safeguarding team are currently developing a suicide-safer strategy and forging links with support networks.
– Our website provides support links for staff and students, directing them to national and local organisations.
– A number of UCQ staff are undertaking level 2 self-harm suicide awareness certification to further raise awareness and the organisation is sourcing additional awareness training for all staff.
What are your current priorities?
– Student and Employee health and wellbeing
– Creating a suicide-safer strategy
– Raising awareness among staff and students of suicide prevention
– Developing links with networks
– Delivering first class education and training
What challenges are you currently facing?
Covid-19 impact relating to isolation, mental health and wellbeing.