WASP – Workplace Awareness of Suicide Prevention
We’re driving a mission to improve awareness of workplace suicides and invite legislative change making it a legal requirement for all organisations in the UK to have a policy on suicide.
Our mission is to equip the nation’s workforce so they have the empathy, skills, resources and confidence to recognise and positively respond to any person (within and outside the workplace) who may be expressing suicidal thoughts or feelings.
How does your organisation contribute to preventing suicide and supporting those affected by it?
– Building a community of businesses/organisations that promote suicide awareness and prevention
– Providing a free template suicide awareness policy for use by businesses/organisations
– Improving the evidence-base around workplace suicide
– Changing legislation requiring all businesses to have a focus and policy on suicide
– Driving change within the Health and Safety Executive to record deaths by suicide on workplace premises
What are your current priorities?
1. Rolling out our template suicide awareness policy to as many businesses as possible
2. Campaigning for changes to HSE death recording rules
What challenges are you currently facing?
We are still in the process of starting up so our current priority is to build a base of support and grow our network.